CHARACTERplus offers low-cost membership in a collective of school districts that believe in a process powerful enough to transform school climate and create caring, safe and academically successful learning environments. The process recognizes that with a deep understanding of character development and training in multiple research-based strategies, educators build the most effective communities of character.
What Makes It Work?
Member Districts & District Leaders
Members have unlimited access to workshops with national experts, local leaders and training that leads to CHARACTERplus Certification in Character Education. Administrators can access a $3,500 scholarship to the Leadership Academy in Character Education. These offerings support:
• the CHARACTERplus Process
• the national standards for character education (known as the Eleven Principles)
• the path to becoming a state and/or national School of Character.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OFFERINGS:
CHARACTERplus Conference Scholarships [Summer]:
0, 1, 2 or 3 per district based on student population. Value: $449 per scholarship Discounted fees for additional participants. – Contact Suzy Ward
Certification in Character Education:
- Basic Certification. Value: $600. Membership Cost: free
- Advanced Certification for Administrators. Value: $5,200. Cost: $500
Professional Development: more than 15 unique offerings each year. Several of these workshops are offered in various locations and on multiple dates. Only CPI Nonviolent Intervention & Prevention involves a $55 fee, based on the sponsoring organization's requirements.
- These offerings are open to administrators, teachers, counselors, support staff, parents, students, school board members and the school's community partners. Value: $200 per session
- Go to Calendar of Events for detailed information, locations, directors, and online registration.
- Leadership Academy in Character Education for Administrators.
This yearlong academy meets monthly as participants learn from national experts in 8 of the 11 sessions; apply the latest research, develop a comprehensive plan for their school, network with the other educational leaders in their cohort, and benefit from the insights and coaching of a director who is a national leader in character education.
Membership Scholarship: $3,500. Member fee: $500
EVALUATION: Climate Survey, Analysis & Data-Based Planning Process
Available at close to cost ($600 per school)is an online climate survey process for students, parents and staff that measures students' sense of safety, belonging, autonomy and competence; staff culture; school leadership; parent-staff relationships; school quality and academic strengths; parent involvement and more. Learn more about the survey and timeline
FOR PARENTS: All workshops are open to parents. Archived columns aimed for parents on character education designed to be placed in principal's newsletters click here