Certification in Character Education
Goal: To provide consistency in understanding
• the depth and range of character education and the dynamics of character development;
• the research-based framework and process for CHARACTERplus, a holistic approach that involves school, home and community. This training emphasizes core values, curriculum integration, service learning, adult role models and student empowerment.
• effective methods and practices, including the combination of multiple strategies, cross-age connections, discipline, class meetings, peer critique, student leadership and parent involvement.
Certification Course Dates Each of the three Certification Workshops are held several times during the school year and educators can earn certification over a period of several years.
Provided by: CHARACTERplus in partnership with the University of Missouri-St. Louis Endowed Professor of Character Education.
Coordinator: Diane Stirling. Please contact her by email or phone(314)692-1222
Costs/fees: Free to members of CHARACTERplus: $200 per workshop for non-members.
Click here for a list of Members
• Dr. Marvin Berkowitz, Sanford N. McDonnell Endowed Professor of Character Education, UMSL
• Diane Stirling, Coordinator of Professional Development and Member Services, CHARACTERplus
• Amy Johnston, CHARACTERplus Consultant, former principal of Francis Howell Middle School
Basic Certification 2003-2013:
A list of all those who have earned basic certification, organized by district.
Advanced Certification: A list of all those who have completed the Leadership Academy in Character Education and the Ten Essentials of CHARACTERplus
Certification provides a unifying force. Learn from the perspective of a former superintendent and a parent, in this article.